Happy New Year!!!
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.” Psalm 19:1-4
As we celebrate the new year, we celebrate what God has done and what God is doing. “In the beginning God created…” and God is still working in His creation and in our lives. In fact, “the heavens declare the glory of God”!
To start the new year, we would like to highlight an amazing, meaningful, free activity that is great for the whole family at different levels. The Cleveland Museum of Natural History has a temporary exhibit (9/29/2018-4/28/2019) called “BUILT TO SURVIVE: BIOMECHANICS”. We were there today and it is amazing!!! It’s as if it were created to show the amazing wisdom, power, creativity, etc. of our amazing Creator. Our 4 year old, 8 year old, Elyse and myself (It’s hard to speak for the baby), all thoroughly enjoyed the exhibit and it had the right mix of hands on, and deeper information to keep us all engaged and amazed. (See below for the “free” part, since the museum is not usually free. :o)
For those who are homeschooling their children, we have another exciting event to highlight. Bible Study Fellowship offers a great way to go deeper into God’s Word with a view to know him more. The day women’s class in Middleburg Heights has had the pre-school program for years, but that was difficult for families who are homeschooling. Starting this year, they will be adding the school age program for K-12!!! If you, or your children, would like to go deeper into God’s Word. This may be worth your checking out! BSF continues to be a huge blessing for our family and we are excited to pass this along.
With those highlights, here are other activities to celebrate God and his creation in the the month of January.
- 1/5 Home Depot Children’s Workshop (Easel with whiteboard) 9a.m.-12 p.m. (flexible timing) (Free RSVP)
- 1/5 Kids nature hour @ 1-2 p.m. North Chagrin Nature Center
- 1/8 Bible Study Fellowship school age program starts @ 9:15 at Grace Church
- 1/14 Duct Tape Festival @ 3:30-4:30 Fairview library
- 1/16 10:00-12:00 Western Reserve Historical Society – Homeschool Field Trip Days – Citizens Start Here ($$$)
- 1/19 Hungry for Plants with Power @10:30 Brecksville library
- 1/21 Free museum day MLK in Cleveland
- 1/31 Magic camp @ 4-5 p.m. Brookpark library
- Ohio Caverns Winter session includes a section that is not toured during the summer session.
The events marked “Free RSVP” do require advance registration, which may fill up quickly. Be sure to check whether the registration is still open before you plan your trip.
Events marked “($$$)” have a fee.
So, How do I go to the Natural History Museum for FREE!?!
We encourage supporting the museums, etc. However, if finances are going to keep you from going and you’re willing to have a little extra hassle, there is a way to go for free through the public library.
Here is how:
- Get a Cleveland Public Library card. (Bring your Cuyahoga County card and they can use the same card) – FREE
- Ask to check out a “Family Pass” for the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. This is good for six people to enjoy the museum AND the planetarium for FREE!
- The branches sometimes run out. If they don’t have one try again later, or try another branch.
- These do not need to be returned. You turn them in at the museum in exchange for tickets.
- Tell a friend… share the good news! (Especially while the “BUILT TO SURVIVE: BIOMECHANICS” is still at the museum!)
Enjoy your New Year as you focus on the Beginner and Sustainer of all things!
Other events that are not specific to this month
Ongoing Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Metroparks – enjoy the winter season and beauty from the nature (whether on a trail, at a nature center or other event)
- Be a Junior Ranger in the National Park (assuming the government shutdown ends)
- Library Events & Storytimes (Cuyahoga Library, Cleveland Library)
Weekly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Cleveland Museum of Art Art Storytime – Sat 11-11:30 a.m.
- Weekend Pat Catan’s free crafts
- Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) classes – Sept.-April
- Free ESL classes @ Grace Church- Sunday at 6 p.m.
Monthly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Home Depot Children’s Workshop – 1st Saturday
- Ladies Latte – 2nd Monday
- Moms Uplifting Moms (MUMS) – 2nd Thursday
- Volunteers of America thrift store half price day – Last Tuesday
- Monthly Homeschool Events at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History ($$$)