Happy Chinese New Year!!!
Chinese New Year is on the lunar calendar so moves around a bit on the western calendar (similar to Easter).
Thousands of years of celebrating a holiday can develop quite a few traditions, and the traditions do make the holiday something to look forward to and help with remembering the holiday and creating a feeling around the holiday. However, these same traditions can just become things to do.
This is true not only of the Chinese New Year, but of all areas of our life.
This month is also the month of love and Valentines day. If you celebrate this holiday, is it with excitement to express your appreciation for one you love, or is it to meet the social expectation of the holiday?
Do the traditions of Christmas & Resurrection Sunday (Easter) point you more firmly to Christ… or are they meaningless (though possibly fun) activities that take your time and focus away from Christ?
Traditions can be great reminders, but our family is constantly reminded that we need to remember what is important and why and use the traditions to keep us focused.
Whether you recognize Chinese New Year, or Valentines Day, or Groundhog Day or the Super Bowl…we need to remember that everything, every blessing, all love, the seasons, and our abilities all come from Christ and are for him alone.
With that said, here are some events that can just be events… or they can be meaningful times to focus on God and His creation. Enjoy!
- Our post for January had some great events that are continuing through the winter. This post will focus on new activities for February.
- The events listed here will reflect the ages of our children and our location in the South/West Suburbs. This is not an exhaustive list of events in the area.
- Some events need registration (usually free), others are drop in events. Be sure to check the weblinks to get the details.
- 2/1, 2/8, 2/15, 2/22 Art Experiences at 4-5 p.m., Brookpark Library
- 2/2 Home Depot Children’s Workshop (Heart Candy Box) 9a.m.-12 p.m. (flexible timing) (Free RSVP)
- 2/2 Groundhog fun day at Cleveland Museum of Natural History @10 a.m. ($, See January post for how to visit the museum for free)
- 2/5 Eat, But Don’t Get Eaten: How Animals Survive (grades K-2) @ 7 p.m. Middleburg Heights Library
- 2/6 Mad Scientists: Bubbles – Grades K – 2 @ 7 p.m., Bay Village Library (this event is full but can join the waitlist)
- 2/8 Teddy Bear Tea Party Ages 3-5 with a caregiver @ 2:00-2:45 p.m., Strongsville Library
- 2/9 We Love Clifford – Ages 3-8 with a caregiver @ 10:30 a.m., Berea Library
- 2/9 Model Railroad Display @ 11a.m.-4:30 p.m, Strongsville Library
- 2/9 Chinese New Year Celebration @ 2-4 p.m. more details here
- Asia Plaza Chinese New Year event
- 2/13 Valentine Extravaganza, ages 4 to 12, @ 3-9 p.m., Brooklyn Library
- 2/16 Land of Stories @ 2-4 p.m., Berea Library
- 2/19/20/21 ASTRONOMY: INNER SOLAR SYSTEM at CMNH homeschool program @ 1-2:30 ($13)
- 2/23 Read Around the World @10 a.m. -12:30 p.m.,Strongsville Library
- 2/28 Magic Camp @4-5 p.m., Brookpark Library
- Ohio Caverns Winter session includes a section that is not toured during the summer session.
Other events that are not specific to this month
Ongoing Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Metroparks – enjoy the winter season and beauty from the nature (whether on a trail, at a nature center or other event)
- Be a Junior Ranger in the National Park (assuming the government shutdown ends)
- Library Events & Storytimes (Cuyahoga Library, Cleveland Library)
Weekly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Cleveland Museum of Art Art Storytime – Sat 11-11:30 a.m.
- Weekend Pat Catan’s free crafts
- Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) classes – Sept.-April
- Men & School age children – Monday 6:55pm @ Parma Heights Baptist Church.
- Women & All age children (Birth – 12th grade) – Tuesday: 9:15am @ Grace Church.
- Free ESL classes @ Grace Church- Sunday at 6 p.m.
Monthly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Home Depot Children’s Workshop – 1st Saturday
- Ladies Latte – 2nd Monday
- Moms Uplifting Moms (MUMS) – 2nd Thursday
- Volunteers of America thrift store half price day – Last Tuesday
- Monthly Homeschool Events at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History ($$$)