As a father, I am excited to lead my family to know Christ and reflect him as a family as the Holy Spirit works in our lives to make us more like Himself. As a man, I know that I can be lazy and selfish, wanting to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. Any good is truly due to the Holy Spirit’s work in me.
Part of following Christ is to choose to flee from temptation (including the temptation to do my things, or just to rest, when I should be spending time investing in family and others).
One thing that can help is to get away from the house, and be able to focus on my family. These times away cut the distractions and make a great investment in family.
To that end, I am grateful for my amazing wife keeping track of the various (repeating) events we have enjoyed through the years. Here are some of the (free or very inexpensive) family events that are coming up in the Cleveland area in September. We may not be at all of them (some quiet, down time is also precious), but these are events that have blessed us that we will be considering for this month.
- Library Events – See library listings near you (FREE)
- Metropark Events – See the Metroparks event schedule, or just go take a walk in the woods or path or visit a nature center (Rocky River Nature Center has a lot to do, as do other nature centers)
Weekly Recurring Events
- Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) classes (FREE)
Monthly Recurring Events
- 1st Saturday Home Depot Children’s Workshop (FREE w/ RSVP)
- 2nd Sunday Cleveland Museum of Art Family Day (FREE)
- Canceled in June for Parade the Circle (Wonderful FREE event)
- 1st Wednesday Mad Scientists – Bay Village Library (Free w/ RSVP)
- Chinese Story Times
- Last Tuesday Volunteers of America half price day
- Home Depot Children’s Workshop (1st Sat of each month) FREE w/ RSVP
- Air show (Labor Day weekend) FREE to look at the sky, paid to go in
- You can’t hide an air show!. Park nearby and look to the skies. (Especially for the Blue Angels precision flying team!)
- Bay Village Library – Mad Scientists (1st Wed) (FREE with RSVP)
- Berea library – blocks party (Age 3-5) 10 a.m FREE w/ RSVP
- Berea library – Grandparents Day Celebration – Ages 3-10 2 p.m. FREE w/ RSVP
- Strongsville VFW community day (weekend near 9/11) FREE
- Beachwood Library – Chinese Story time 10:30 FREE
- Women/Children’s BSF 9:20am at Grace CMA FREE
- Men/School Age BSF 6:55pm at Parma Heights Baptist Church FREE
- Men’s BSF is usually on Monday night. This week only is on Tuesday for the first week of the new study.
- water plant visit & clean water fest (3rd Sat) FREE
- young Explorers: Collage Art – Grades K-5 Berea library 10 a.m. FREE
- Chinese church Chinese storytime 4 p.m. (every Saturday) FREE w/ RSVP
- Parma Library 3:45 Kids cafe; 4:00 art exploration FREE
- Harvest festival strongsville (last weekend) FREE
Perhaps we will see you with your family at one of these fun events!
Do you have another favorite event? Please share it in the comments below.