“Christ Jesus, Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:5-11, NIV)
Christmas is a wonderful and amazing holiday. The Creator, God of the Universe willingly taking on flesh and living as a man (including the suffering)… Astonishing. But the culmination of that event is found in Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday (Easter).
God the Son, Jesus, taking the sin of his people onto himself and dying for our sin. God the Father, for the first (and last) time in all of eternity turns his face away. Jesus has taken the filth of his people… onto himself!…. (my mouth hangs open… no words).
Death! He is dead. He is pierced. His is lifeless on the cross. He is buried….
ALIVE! He is alive. He had beaten death, paid the price for sin, and is alive!
To read this in the biographies of Jesus is one thing, but to read it written of apx. 500 years before… Hmmmm…. Take some time to read Isaiah 52:13 – 53:12. Read and reflect on the love and mercy and grace of the risen LORD!
That is THEE event this month, this year and since the creation of the world. Don’t miss it. Don’t dilute it. This is THEE event… let it echo in our hearts and in our lives.
With that said, here are a few other events this month. :o) See where you can see him shining through these events as well.
- World of Puppetry Exhibit Opens until the end of November at Cleveland Public Library
- 4/3 Culture shock at Tri-C
- 4/3 Spectacular American Desert @ 7-8 p.m., Strongsville Library
- 4/5/12/19/26 @4-5 Art Experience, Brookpark Library
- 4/6 Birdhouse – Home Depot Kids workshop @9 to noon
- 4/5 Young Explorers – Earth at Berea library
- 4/7,9,10 @ 7-9 p.m., Live drama-Heaven’s Gates & Hell’s Flames @ Grace church
- 4/13 Ivy + Bean The Musical @ 2 p.m., Berea Library
- 4/19 – 4/27 Holiday: Passover
- 4/19//20/21 Good Friday & Easter service @ Grace Church
- 4/21 Holiday: Easter/Resurrection Sunday (Orthodox Easter 4/28)
- 4/23 World War II: Life on the Home Front @ 7-8:45 Strongsville Library
Other events that are not specific to this month
Ongoing Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Metroparks – enjoy the winter season and beauty from the nature (whether on a trail, at a nature center or other event)
- Be a Junior Ranger in the National Park (assuming the government shutdown ends)
- Library Events & Storytimes (Cuyahoga Library, Cleveland Library)
Weekly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Cleveland Museum of Art Art Storytime – Sat 11-11:30 a.m.
- Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) classes – Sept.-April
- Free Citizenship classes @ Grace Church – Sunday, 4:30pm
- Free ESL classes @ Grace Church – Sunday, 6 p.m.
- Art experience (Various Cuyahoga libraries: including Brookpark) – Fridays, 4:00-5:00PM
Monthly Recurring Events (Some may have different schedules this month)
- Home Depot Children’s Workshop – 1st Saturday
- Ladies Latte – 2nd Monday
- Moms Uplifting Moms (MUMS) – 2nd Thursday
- Volunteers of America thrift store half price day – Last Tuesday
- Monthly Homeschool Events at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History ($$$)